AYO'RA, a t. of Spain, in the province of Valencia, and 50 m. s.w. from Valencia, on the upper part of a river of the same name, and situated in an extensive hollow at the base of a limestone mountain. It has four squares and wide streets. On the summit of the hill are the remains of an old castle, close to which the town once stood. The inhabi tants are chiefly employed in husbandry and oil-making. Pop. 5412.
AYR, the co. t. of Ayrshire, is situated on the left hank of the river Ayr, about the middle of the coast of Ayrshire, 40 m. s.s.w. of Glasgow by rail. It lies in a coal dis trict. A. is a clean and handsome town, and its principal streets are well built. To the south, between the town and the race-course, numerous elegant villas have recently sprung up. The spire of the assembly-rooms is 217 ft., and the Wallace tower, 113 ft. high. Three bridges span the river and connect the town with Newton-upon-Ayr—the "mild brig" and the "new brig" (taken clown in 1877, and rebuilt) of Burns, together with a railway bridge. Part of the tower of the old church of St. John, built in the 1:2th c., and turned into a fort by Cromwell, is still standing. A. harbor is formed by the
estuary of the river, and is protected by piers and a breakwater. A large wet dock has recently been built. The coasting trade is considerable. The chief export is coal. 180,000 to 200,000 tons yearly being exported from the .:1yr collieries. A considerable quantity.of grain and timber is imported. At one time, much wine was imported from France. At an early date, A. was a commercial and military place of some importance. William the lion made it a royal burgh about 1202. During the Scottish wars of inde pendence, it formed a regular center of military operations, and, while in possession of an English garrison, it was the scene (according to Blind Harry) of Wallace's first exploits. The principal objects of interest near A. are connected with the memory of Robert Burns. See ALLOWAY KIRK. Pop. in 1871, municipal burgh, 7987; of the par liamentary burgh, including Newton-upon-Ayr, 17,954. A. unites with Campbelton, Irvine, Inverary. and °ban, in sending a member to parliament. Parliamentary con stituency (1875-1876), 2426; annual value of real property, £65,150.