BOSTON, PUBLIC LATIN SCHOOL IN, founded 1635, is designed to give a thorough general culture to boys who intend to pursue the higher branches of learning, or to prepare for professional life. It is organized in six classes, and the full course of study covers the period of six years. Graduates of grammar schools, to whom diplomas have been awarded, are admitted without examination to whatever class their qualifica tions may entitle them to enter. Other applicants have to pass an examination equiva lent to that required for admission to the third class of the grammar school. The standard of graduation is that of admission to colleges of the highest grade. The early records of the school are imperfect, but the catalogue printed in 1847 contains about 5000 names, and among them are many of those eminent in the history of the country. Adding those who have attended the school since that date, we have a total of about 7500. The whole
number of graduates is reckoned at about 3400. It is believed that at least 3000 of its pupils are now living. It has now 13 teachers, and 400 pupils, and a library of about 3000 volumes, mostly classical. Prizes are offered annually for superior proficiency in various studies, and for exemplary conduct. The school was once on School street, on the site of the Franklin statue, in the rear of King's chapel; afterwards on the opposite side of the same street at the corner of the alley, on the site of the Parker House; at present on Bedford street. It will soon be removed to a new and elegant building on Warren avenue. The master of the school at present is Moses Merrill. Among the former masters were Philemon Pormot (first master), Ezekiel Cheever, Benjamin A. Gould, Charles K. Dillaway, Epes S. Dixwell, and Francis Gardner.