BERESFORII, WILLIAM Cann, Viscount, a distinguished military commander. nat ural son of the first marquis of Waterford, was born 2d Oct.. 1768, and entered the army in 1785. After serving in various parts of the world, he bore a conspicuous part in the reccnquest of the cape of Good Hope in 1806, and subsequently, with the rank of brig.gen., was with the British force that took possession of Buenos Ayres. In Aug., 1808, he joined the British army in Portugal, and proceeded into Spain with sir John 3Ioore's force; was present at the battle of Corunna; and, after covet ing the embarka tion of the troops, returned with them to England. In Feb., 1809, maj.gen. 13. was ordered a second time to Portugal, to take the command of the Portuguese army, with the local rank of lient.gen.; and he succeeded in improving its discipline so greatly, as soon to render it highly efficient for active service. Appointed marshal of Portugal in Mar., at the head of 12,000 men, he attacked the French in the north of that kingdom, crossed the river Douro, drove Loison's division back to Arnarante, and uniting with the force under sir Arthur Wellesley, pursued it iu its retreat till it was utterly disor ganized. For his services at the battle of Busaco, 271h Aug., 1810, B was nominated a knight of the bath. He commanded at the bloody battle of Albuera. May 16, 1811; and for the victory there gained over Soult, he received the thanks of Ile was present at B-adajoz; at Salamanca, where he was severely woanded; at the various battles on the Pyrenees; at Nivclle, where he led the right of the center; at live; and at Orthez. Ile was in command of the British troops which took possession of Bordeaux, and subsequently distinguished himself at the battle of Toulouse. In May, 1814, he was created baron, and in 1823 viscount Percsford. By the Portuguese government, he was sent, in 1814, to Rio Janeiro, to suppress a formidable revolt there. In the Wel lington administration, Jan., 1S28, to Nov., 18CO, he wasm.aster.gen. of the ordnance. Ile bore the title of marquis of Campo, mayor and duke of LIvas in Spain. comic de
Francoso in Portugal, and was knight of several foreign orders. Ile died, without issue, 8th Jan., 1854, when the title became extinct.
or BETIEZI'\A, a river of Russia, having its rise in the n. of the govern ment of Minsk. It flows in it southward direction for about 240 m. to the Dnieper, which it joins above Redchitzka. It is connected with the Drina, or Dwina, by a canal, a communication between the Black and Baltic seas being thus established. '1 he B. is memorable on account of the disastrous passage of the French army, Nov., 1812. during the retreat from Moscow. Two bridges over the B.—one for troops, the other for l:ag gage and artillery—were hastily constructed. Many of the 7ontonier8 died !rein the in making these bridges. On the 27th, the passage of the French commenced, and was continued during the whole Of the day. Victor's rear-guard of 7000 men, under Partonncaux, were, however, intercepted I,• the Russians, and had to capitulate. On the 28th, a vigorous attack was made by thellussians on the French on both sides of the river, but too late to prevent the latter securing the road to Zenthin. The Russians, however, established a battery of 12 pieces to command the bridge; and the panic and confusion of their enemies now became dreadful. The artillery bridge broke, and all rushing to the other, it was soon choked; multitudes were forced into the stream, while the Russian cannon played on the struggling mass. On the 29t11, a con siderable number of sick and wounded soldiers, women, children, and sutlers, still remained behind, despite the warnings of marshal Victor and gen. Eb16. until prepara tions were made for burning the bridges. Then a fearful rush took place; and as the fire seized the timbers, men, women, and children threw themselves in desperation into the flames or the river. 12,000 dead bodies found on the shores of the river, when the ice thawed. attested the magnitude of the French distaster. The Russians took 16,060 prisoners and 25 pieces of cannon.
BEREVTY0-11JTALtr, a market-town of Hungary, co. Bihar, with a pop. '69, of 5760.