INDIANAPOLIS (ante), was selected in 1820 as the seat of government, and made the capital of the state in 1824. Pop. '80, 76,200. It is situated on a plain on the e. bank of the river. From a small park in the center four broad avenues diverge, inter the streets, whiclrare very wide and run at right angles. The streets are generally graveled, but many are paved with stone or wood, and all lighted with gas. Nine bridges, all but one of iron, three of which are for railroad trains, cross the river here. The street railroads have 50 cars. There are 7 parks; that in the n. part of the city containing 100 acres. Thirteen railroads center here which,. with their numerous branches, traverse the state, and connect its rich agricultural and mineral districts with the chief cities of the west. A belt-line around the city was commenced in 1875 for the purpose of connecting all the other lines. Eighty-two passenger trains, with over 300 cars, daily leave and enter the union depot, with an average of 10,000 persons, and the number of freight cars entering and leaving in 1874 was above 700,000. There are two large grain elevators, 10 flouring mills, and 8 pork-packing establishments. The manufactures of the city are varied and extensive, having 2 iron rolling mills, 20 foundries and machine-shops, car-works, factories for agricultural implements, sewing-machines, organs, pianos, carriages, household and school furniture, sash, blinds, glass, starch, glue, cotton and woolen goods, wooden ware, etc. The number of incorpbrated manu
facturing institutions is 30, with an invested capital of $15,000,000. There is an efficient fire department, with 7 engines and a complete fire-alarm telegraph. The, city is abun dantly supplied with water by the Holly system. There are 6 national, several private, and 2 savings banks, many insurance companies, 70 churches, state asylums fox the deaf and dumb, and insane, a university, 2 medical colleges, a law school, a Roman Catholic theological seminary, a city hospital, an art school, an academy of music, a state library with 15,000 volumes, and a free city library with 14,500, a splendid court house, an exposition building, a chamber of commerce building, Odd Fellows' and Masonic halls, the union depot, U. S. arsenal, and many other fine massive buildings. A new state house, to cost $4,000,000, has been authorized by the legislature. The city has a well-organized system of public schools, containing over 20,000 pupils, a high school and a normal school. The public schools are supported from the state school fund of $8,000,000, and by state and locaItaxation.
The sales of real estate in 1873 amounted to $32,579,253. The taxable value of prop erty in '73 was $65,000,000. The city was incorporated in 1836.