MADISON; a t. in Morris co., N. J.. 17 m. w. of Newark, on the 3lorris and Essex division of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western railroad. Its location is healthful and picturesque. It contains a classical institute, a Roman Catholic convent, 5 churches —the oldest of which is the Presbyterian, organized about the middle of the last century —and Drew theological seminary, established 1867, named after its founder, the late Daniel Drew of New York, aud occupying what was formerly the Gibbon estate, con taining about 100 acres, highly ornatnented with walks aud drives, shrubbery, and forest grove. The buildings are 3Iead ball—formerly the mansion-house of the estate—con taining the chapel, reading-room, library, lecture rooms, and offices of the professors; Asbury hall, containing 72 rooms for students; Embury hall, containing a dining-room; Society hall, apartments for the matron, and 20 rooms for students; and 5 residences for the president and professors. The faculty are the president, who is also professor of historical theology, a.nd 5 other professors. In addition to the systematic instruction
thus furnished, special lectures on collateral topics are given by a large corps of repre sentative men annually appointed. The number of students in 1880 was 104. The library contains 10,000 vols., carefully- selected with special reference to the wants of students for the ministry; and in addition to these the libraries of the professors, amount ing in the aggregate to about an equal number of volumes, are accessible to the students, under proper restrictions. The large endowment originally designed for the institution by the founder having been, in part, lost by his subsequent pecuniary misfortunes, success , ful efforts are in progress to make up the full amount by more general benefactions. The location of the seminary makes it the central theological school of the Methodist ; Episcopal church, whose zeal, wisdom, and wealth may be relied on to secure for it the I highest degree of permanent efficiency in the great work for which it has been estab ' lished.