DHOLPUR, a town on the banks of the river Chambal, which flows for 100 miles through Dhol pur territory. Dholpur state lies between lat. 26° 22' and 26° 57' N., and long. 77° 26' and 78° 19' E., with an area of 1174 square miles and 227,976 inhabitants. The most numerous classes are Brahmans 36,884, and Chamars 32,092. Thakurs number 23,703 ; Gujars, 17,229 ; Kachhi, 15,090 ; Mina, 10,620 ; and Lodlia, 8050. The remainder of the population is divided among 75 other castes. There aro 9964 Mahamedans, who reside for the most part in tbe towns of Bari and Dholpur.
Lukindar Singh, known as the rana of Golmd, was the first of the chiefs of Dholpur with whom the British Government formed political relations. The family belong to the Jat tribe, and first roee to notice under the Peshwa Baji Rao. After the overthrow of the Mahrattas Panipat, the uncle of Lukindar Singh rebelled, and possessed himself of the fort of Gwalion During the Mahratta war which ended in the peace of Salbyc, the British in 1799 formed a treaty with hin3. Much discussion,
however, arose in 1803, 1804, and 1805, but ultimately the river Chambal became the boundary between Sindia's territories and Dholpur. l'ifaba ra.na Keerut Singh lived to a great age. Ile died in 1836, and WM succeeded by Bliagwant Singh, who rendered assiatance to the fugitives from Gwalior in 1857, but his minister Deo Huns in curred the displeasure of Government by plunder ing villages in the Agra district, Bhagwant Singh received tho right of adoption, and was declared entitled to a ealuto of fifteen guns. The military force of the state consists of about 2000 men.—Treaties, etc., iv. p. 108 ; Imp. Gaz.