ANDERSON, S. C., city and county-seat of Anderson County. Three railroads, Blue Ridge Railroad (branch of the Southern Rail way) and C. & W. C. Railway and electric Interurban, Piedmont & Northern, connecting Anderson with Greenville, Greenwood and Spartanburg, S. C. Centre of South Carolina division of the celebrated Piedmont section, also in one of the two aseptic zones of the United States, it being a medical fact that wounds heal with twice the rapidity in these zones than elsewhere in the entire country. Fifteen churches representing all denomina tions. Eight schools, seven for white children and one for colored pupils. Number of pupils enrolled 1 Jan. 1916, white 2,656; colored 1,306. Number of teachers and instructors in the schools, white 55, colored 21. Value of build ings used for school purposes, not including leased property, white $132,000 colored $10,000. School enrolment 1 Jan. 1915, 3,381, increase in 1916, 581 pupils. Anderson College, a semi nary for young women, value of buildings and equipment, $250,000, employs a faculty of 16 teachers and instructors, attendance 115. Anderson County is second largest in the State in the production of cotton, corn and feed stuff. Nine cotton mills within a radius of five miles of the courthouse, employing 3,200 operatives, three cotton oil mills and two fer tilizer plants, foundry and machine works, two ice plants, two flour mills, three wholesale lum ber mills, planing mills and variety works, mattress and spring bed factory, horse collar factory, patented metal shingle factory. The
United States census of 4914 reports 28 estab lishments of factory grade, employing 1,254 persons, of whom 1,145 are wage earners, re ceiving $392,000 annually in wages. The capi tal employed was $2,575,000, and the value of the year's output was $1,904,000; of this, $646,000 was the value added by manufacture. The city has a gas plant with 16 miles of mains and daily capacity of 165,000 cubic feet; water works and electric lights, 20,000 horsepower plant located on Sececa River, 35 miles of water mains, 9 miles of street railway, 7/2 miles of paved streets, paid fire department, auto engine and two horse-drawn trucks, 1,215 telephones. Taxable property within the city limits, not including six of the city's largest industries, $1,150,000. Aldermanic form of government vested in mayor and six aldermen. Pop. (1900) 5,498; (1910) 9,654, percentage of increase 75 per cent ; (1915) 17,500, percentage of increase 81 per cent. Increase for past 25 years of 479 per cent.