GUTHRIE, Okla., once capital of the terri tory of Oklahoma and the county-seat of Logan County, on the Cottonwood River and on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe, the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific, the Oklahoma Eastern, the Missouri, Kansas and Texas, and Fort Smith and Western Denver, Enid and Gulf and the Saint Louis, El Reno and Southern railways. Guthrie has a very large trade, and is especially noted as a wholesale distributing centre. It has planing, cotton, flour and cotton seed oil mills, furniture and carriage factories, foundry and machine shops, broom works, plow factory, creamery, railroad repair shops, novelty works, bookbindery, etc. Guthrie's chief build ings are the capitol, Federal court and post office building, the city hall, the Scottish Rite temple, Carnegie library and the Federal prison. The Carnegie library (costing $25,000) is a noteworthy institution. The city possesses an excellent public school system, including a high school and a $50,000 county high school. The Methodist University is centrally located here; on a height overlooking the city on the west is Saint Joseph's Academy and many private schools add to the city's educational facilities. Guthrie is on a sound financial basis. Out of 25 representative cities scattered throughout the United States, including the principal cities of Oklahoma, there are but four where the per capita cost of city government, not taking into account outlays for interest and public im provements, are less than that of Guthrie. The
city's operating expenses under the present form of government have been reduced 50 per cent in the last four years. The city is under the com mission form of government, the board con sisting of three commissions: mayor and com missioner of accounts and finance, commissioner of public utilities, commissioner of public safety. The chief of police and all other city officers are chosen by the people. The city has electric lighting and owns and operates its own waterworks, has 21 miles of paved streets, large natural gas plant and a new municipal bath house. Guthrie dates its existence from the opening of the Territory in 1889, and it was made the capital city one year later, in 1890. The city has had a rapid development. Its rival, Oklahoma City, about 30 miles south, is the State capital. Pop. 12,000.
GUTIfiRREZ, goo-tyar-ras, Santos, Co lombian President: b. Cocui, Boyaca, 1820; d. 1872. He was educated for the legal profes sion and began practising in 1839. After hold ing a number of minor offices, he supported the Liberals in the Revolution of 1859-63, and by his effective generalship contributed largely to the success of his party. He became succes sively member of the national Congress, gov ernor of Boyaca, national senator, Minister of Foreign Relations and finally succeeded to the Presidency in 1868. He retired from political activity in 1870.