KLAUSENBURG, klouistn-boork, or KO LOZSVAR, a county and capital town of the same name in Hungary. The town was at one time the capital of Transylvania. It con. sists of the old town and several growing suburbs, and possesses a historical cathedral, dating back to the 15th century, a reform church of the same century and a citadel erected by General Steinville in 1715, as a protecting fortress for the town. The city is well provided with educational institutions, the most noteworthy of which is the Francis Joseph University founded in 1872. The attendance has increased from year to year; and the facilities of the institution have improved with the increase in attendance. It now has com plete university faculties and over 3,000 students in normal times; and a library of over 100,000 books. The city also possesses machine shops, distilleries, paper, cloth and sugar mills, cigar factories, railway shops and a very extensive farm implements factory.
Klausenburg has had, like most of the rider hlungarian towns, an eventful career. Founded by German colonists probably on the site of , an older town, in 1178, it became a free royal town in 1405; and it was more or less mixed up in the numerous political and other dis turbances of the centuries. Finally in 1848 the revolutionists under Bern captured it; and it was the scene of revolutional demonstra tions in 1918, following the rrender of Austria to the French, English, \ nerican and Italian allies. rown from 34,800 in 1890 to almost double that popula tion in 1918. Notwithstanding this rapid growth of population the people are notably homogeneous, most of them being Magyars, and of the Protestant