KOLO, kolo, Russia, a town in the Rus sian Polish government of Kalisch, situated on an island in the river Warthe. It has a Bene dictine church, several factories and a popula tion of 11,655 in 1910. In the World War this town was one of the bases of the Germans in their first drive at Warsaw and it was a pass ing point for troops in the following expedi tions against Warsaw. The neighborhood con tains a number of important brick kilns.
KOLOKOTRONIS,kolok-O-tro'nis,Theo doros, Greek general: b. Karytena, Arcadia, 15 April 1770; d. Athens, 15 March 1843. He took part in the sieges of Tripolitza, Nauplia and Corinth and invaded Livadia (1821) as a leader of the Klephts against the Turks. In the next campaign he beat the Turks at Kleones and Phlius. He seized Nauplia and made him self governor (1823) and, by force of threats, was appointed commander-in-chief and, later, vice-president of executive council. Fighting adversely against the government troops under Guras, he withdrew to Karytena and was made state's prisoner (1825). The campaign losses
of the Greeks caused them to entrust him with an army-corps and he fought adversely against Ibrahim Pasha. Under Count d'Istria he acted as general in the Peloponnesus and was chosen a member of the provisional government com mission on the death of the president, but sided with the Russians against the government. He turned against the regency, but was ar rested (1834) and condemned to death for high treason, but the sentence was changed by King Otho to 10 years' imprisonment. On the king coming of age and ascending the throne (1835), he was released and his rank of gen eral restored, besides honors being bestowed on him. He lived thenceforth at Athens. Con sult Edmond's translation of the Klepht and the warrior, an autobiography' (London 1891) ; Bikelas, (Un heros de la Guerre de l'Independance> (in Grece by zantine et moderne,' Paris 1893).