AUBURN, Me., a city and county-seat of Androscoggin County, on the west bank of the Androscoggin River, on the line of the Maine C. and Grand Trunk railroads, 34 miles north of Portland. The city is one of the most beauti ful in the State. It rises westerly from the river in almost amphitheatre form, culminating in beautiful heights known as the Western Prom enade. These heights are terraced by broad, handsome avenues, upon which, Overlooking the city, are elegant residences with spacious and well-kept grounds. The view from the summit of these heights is one of the most striking in Maine. The beautiful Androscoggin River, with its waterfall grand and picturesque, flows through the valley below, the two thriving cities of Auburn and Lewiston on either bank, while broad and fertile fields dotted with comfortable farm homes stretch to the north and east. Taylor Pond and Lake Auburn lie to the west and are justly considered among the most beautiful lakes of Maine. The territory of the city covers an area of 65.4 square miles.
History.— Auburn is an old town and has an interesting history. Its territory is a part of a large tract of land, originally known as Bakerstown, granted by the general court of Massachusetts in 1765. It was settled as early as 1786 and Auburn was incorporated as a town in 1842, and as a city in 1869.
Industries.— Its largest single industry is the manufacture of boots and shoes, and in this branch of manufacture it is one of the fore most cities in the country. Its industries in clude cotton mill, last, box and carriage fac tories, machine shops, shoe findings, dairy products, beef and packing houses, marble and foundry products, lumber, shuttles and spools. The United States census of manufactures for 1914 recorded 84 establishments of factory' grade, employing 5,247 persons, of whom 4,811 were wage earners, receiving $2,855,000 an nually in wages. The capital invested aggre gated $6,020,000, and the year's output was valued at $13,840,000; of this $5,154,000 was added by manufacture.
Banks.—There are two national banks and two savings banks located here. The capital stock of the two national banks is $350,000; surplus, $138,378. The deposits in the savings banks, about $2,500,000.
Government.— The commission form of government has been put in operation and has proved much more satisfactory than the old form of municipal government with a mayor, a board of aldermen and a board of common councilmen. The city owns its waterworks.
The assessed valuation of the real and personal property according to latest obtainable reports is $11,026,007; rate of taxation 20 mills ; bonded debt $462,700; floating debt $46,500.
Churches and Schools.— The city has nine churches, one of them organized as early as 1807, supported by the following denomina tions: Baptist, Free Baptist, Universalist, Epis copal, Methodist, Congregational and Catholic. The city has a school population of about 5,000. School accommodations are furnished absolutely free from the kindergarten to the completion of the high school course. Excellent buildings, commodious, well appointed and equipped with modern improvements are distributed over the city sufficient for the full accommodation of all the pupils in the primary, intermediate, grammar and high school grades. At the head of the public school system stands the Edward Little High School, a noted institution having its origin in the old Lewiston Falls Academy, incorporated in 1834. In addition to the public schools there is a Catholic parochial school of 564 scholars, supported solely by the Catholic portion of the population. There is also an excellent free public library. The city, generally speaking, is thriving and prosperous. Its popu lation is composed largely of skilled workmen who own their own homes and are permanent residents. The streets are wide and well paved, regularly laid out, and in the residential sections adorned with beautiful shade trees. There is an excellent and extensive electric street rail way, two large and centrally located hotels, a beautiful public park, a handsome and com modious set of county buildings in which are located the Supreme Court rooms and all the county offices, and the railroad facilities and connections with all parts of the country are of the best. The city is connected with the city of Lewiston (q.v.), located immediately across the river, by four large iron bridges, and the two cities are so closely related socially and in a business way that they form practically one community arid are known as the Twin Cities of Maine. Pop. (1842, at the time of its incor poration as a town) about 2,000; (1869, at the time of its incorporation as a city) 6,169; (1910) 15,064; (1914) 16,000.