WALDEN UNIVERSITY, an institution for the education of the colored race, located at Nashville, Tenn. It grew out of a sthool for adults and children established by the Freedmen's Aid Society; in 1866 it was char tered as Central Tennessee College. It is under the control of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1900 the name was changed to Walden Uni versity in honor of Bishop John M. Walden. The university includes the following depart ments: (1) Collegiate department; (2) aaa demic department (preparatory); (3) normal department; (4) commercial department; (5) law department; (6) Braden Bible Training School; (7) music department; (8) Meharry Medical College; (9) industrial department. The collegiati department offers two four years' courses, the classical and the scientific; and two corres'ponding preparatory courses of three years. The normal department offers a course five years in leng-th (instead of four years, as formerly); the first three years are the same in rank as the college preparatory course; the completion of this course entitles the student to the degree of bachelor of pedagogy. The academic department offers a two years' English course and a two years' teacher's preparatory course. In all these courses the daily study of the Bible is required. The law department, which vras the first law school for colored students established in the South, has a two years' course. The Braden Bible Training School offers a theological course,.correspondence courses in theology and a missionary and deaconess training course. The theological course is two years in length, with a year of post-graduate worlc; the mis sionary training course includes studies in in dustrial department and the medical school.
The Meharry MecHeal College was founded in 1876; it offers a four years' medical course, which may be completed in three years by those holding an A.B., or B.S., degree; the dental college, the pharmaceutical college and the nurses' traimng school are also a part of the medical department. The industrial depart ment includes the trade schools, the school of domestic science and art and the Walden In dustrial School, The trade schools give instruc hon and practice in carpentry, sloyd, painting, paper-hanging, masonry and plas tering, and landscape gardening for men, and in sloyd for women; the school of domestic science provides instruction in cooking, sewing, laundry work, etc., for women; the industrial school is for the industrial training of children and serves also as a model school for normal departmeni When the students attain suffi cient proficiency in industrial classes, work is furnished them by which they may pay a por tion of their expenses. The students maintain two literary societies. The university buildings (1910) on the campus include the administra tion building, seven other brick buildings and seven wooden buildings; the medical college is located in another part of the city. The library contains over 6,000 volumes; students of the law department also have access to the State Law Library. The students at the la.st re port numbered about 500, mostly in the medi cal department. Many of the graduates are teachers; other are doctors and lawyers.