WELLINGTON, New Zealand, (1) The capital city of New Zealand and also the pro vincial district of Wellington, situated on Lamb ton Harbor, on the southwest of Port Nichol son, an inlet of Cook Strait, about 1,200 miles southeast of Sydney in Australia. Its fine harbor is the safest and most commodious in New Zealand. It receives most of the direct sea trade of New Zealand_ The principal build ings and institutions are government house, a fine building in Italian style, said to be the larg est wooden structure in the Southern Hemi sphere; the houses of legislature (the parlia mentary library building was destroyed by fire 10 Dec. 1907) ; the government building; Su preme Court edifice; Anglican, Roman Catholic, NA'e,leyan, Primitive Methodist, Presbyterian, Congregational and other churches; a free pub lic library; Wellington College, a girls' high school. Saint Patrick's College (It C.), a tech nical school and other similar educational in stitutions; Victona University College, affili ated to the University of New Zealand; a gen eral hospital; a lunatic asylum; the Boys' In stitute; and the botanical gardens. The city is lighted b' electricity and has a good water supply and its streets are traversed by electric tramways. The chief industrial establishments are tanneries, candle and soap works, coffee mills, boot factories, biscuit works, foundries. brick-works, saw-mills, woolen-milk, breweries and meat-packing establishments. The town has a harbor that has been improved and fortified. Unlike most New Zealand towns, this one is built of wood, owing to the volcanic nature of its site, where several earthquakes have already occurred. The foreign trade increases steadily,
being double in 1912 the figure of 1908 and nearly 70 per cent greater in 1916 than in 1912. The 1916 total was $84,000,000. The population has grown from 69.000 in 1909 to 97,000 in 1919. (2) A provincial district in the south of North Island; area, 10,807 square miles. Its coast is but little indented, the principal openings being Palliser Bay and Port Nicholson in the south. It is traversed throughout almost its whole length by a range of mountains, averaging about 4,000 feet in height. Parallel to this main range and nearer the east coast there is a series of lower ranges and between these two chief mountain systems extends the broad Wairarapa Plain, merging northward into an undulating country. A considerable extent of fairly level country, increasing in breadth northward, is also found along the west coast. The district is well-watered by several rivers and in the south are Lakes Wairarapa and Onoke. Wellington is well-wooded and timber is one of its chief exports. Much of the surface is admirably adapted for pastoral purposes and there are in the district several million sheep, in addition to large numbers of cattle and horses. Agriculture is also successfully carried on in several parts. the principal crops being oats, wheat, potatoes and turnips. The number of cheese and butter factories is steadily increasing. Little mineral wealth has been found in the district of Well ington, but some gold has been worked. Rail ways run from \A, ellington to Napier and New Plymouth. Pop. 232,114.