ILLINOIS, UNIVERSITY OF. The State Uni versity of Illinois, occupying a site of 600 acres, between the cities of Urbana and Champaign. It was chartered in 1867 as the Illinois lndus ti ial University. and assumed its present name in 1885. In 1870 women were admitted as students, and now form about one-sixth of the whole at tendance. The university is divided into six colleges: Literature and arts, science, engi neering, agriculture, law, and medicine, in cluding schools of library and science, art and design, music, military science, and peda gogy, and preparatory and graduate departments. The State laboratory of natural bistory and the United States agricultural experiment station for Illinois are departments of the university, but have separate financial support. The schools of pharmacy, medicine, and dentistry are situ ated in Chicago. The university owns valuable collections iu zoology, geology, and other depart ments, an art gallery, and an excellent collection of historical portraits. The library contains
about 60,000 volumes, exclusive of special depart mental libraries. The university holds a summer session of nine weeks designed primarily for teachers. It maintains close relations with the high schools of the State through a careful sys tem of inspection and accrediting. It has de veloped rapidly, and is constantly engaged in scientific investigations bearing upon the inter ests of the State. In 1902 it had 21 buildings, 300 instructors. and over 3200 students, of whom about 1000 were in attendance at the under graduate college. At the same time its endow ment amounted to $645,000. its buildings and grounds were valued at $1,175.000, and its an nual income, mainly derived from legislative ap propriations, was $780,000.