KARACHI, kfi-rii'clut, or KURRACHEE. An important seaport.. the capital of Karachi District and of the Sindh Division. Bombay Presidency. British India, in latitude 24° 47' N., longitude 66° 50' E. (Slap: India, A 3). It is sit uated in the Indus Delta, 12 miles northwest of the river's westernmost outlet, and 90 miles southwest of 'Hyderabad. It is a terminus of the Northwestern Railway. by which it com municates with the whole railroad system of As the mouth of the Indus (q.v.) is barred by sand-banks, Karachi is virtually the terminus of the traffic of that river, and has be come. as predicted by Sir Charles Napier. 'the gateway of Central Asia.' Tts spacious harbor, covering acres, is protected by extensive breakwaters. The wharves, docks. and landing place are on the former island of Kianntri, now connected with the city by road, railways, Wu graph, and telephone over the Napier mole, three miles long. The public buildings comprise the Government house, municipal offices. court-house, Arts College, high school, l'rere hall, :Masonic. hall, Victoria and Bolton \larkets, the Eduljei Duishaw Dispensary, hospital, fine hanks and club-house, Episcopal, Catholic, and Presbyterian churches. The cantonments on the east contain
the artillery barracks and arsenal, and the Napier barracks, with accommodation for 1500 men. A good road three miles long connects i DI Clifton. on the south, which has a pier and an extensive sandy beach, frequented by excursion parties and noted for the turtle-hunt ing it affords during the autumn season. Karachi has an active inland trade with Kashmir, Turkes tan, Afghanistan, and Tibet. The chief manufac tures are carpets and the famous Sindh silver ware. The town also contains the workshops of the Northwestern Railway. It exports hides. tallow, oil, cotton, wheat, and tea, and imports metals, hardware, silk, and woolen goods. It. is the seat of a United States consular agent. •h, city's growth and development date from its cession to the British Government by the Talpur Amirs in 1842; the previous fort and village 11111 existed since 1725. Population, in 1891, 105200: in 1901, 151,400. The district has an area of 14.297 square miles; population. in 1591, 572, 000; in 1901, 607.440. Consult Baillie, Kur reduce, Past, Presen t, and Future ( London, 1890).