LEAVENWORTH, liWen-wfirtli. A city and the county-seat of Leavenworth County, Kau., 2ti miles northwest of Kansas City: on the Missouri River, and on the Atchison, l'opeka and Santa Ft"... the Missouri Pacific, the Union Patine, the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific. the Burlington Route, the Chicago Great Western. and several other railroads (Map: Kansas. II 2). With these transportation it is an important commercial centre, its wholesale trade being prominent. There are also coal-mining inter ests and extensive manufactures, including vitri fied and building bricks, stoves, furniture, ma chinery, flour, wagons, etc. The city has a public library, and among noteworthy structures the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, county court-house, and Federal building. In the sub urbs are the United States and State peniten tiaries, a home for disabled volunteers with a membership of 3700, and Fort Leavenworth (q.v.). The last, one of the most important mili tary posts of the West, has a noted infantry and cavalry school, and a national cemetery in which are 3221 graves, 1445 of unknown dead. There
are also in the city several hospitals and asylums, and two fine railroad and wagon bridges Bross the river at this point. An object of particular in terest is the immense bronze statue of Gen. U. S. Grant. The government is administered. under a charter of 1881, since frequently amended, by a mayor, elected biennially, a uni cameral council, and subordinate officials—all. excepting the city clerk, attorney, and treasurer, who are chosen by popular election, being ap pointed by the executive subject to the eon cent of the council. The schools are governed by a board elected at large. Leavenworth was founded in T854 by a party of so-called 'Sons of the South,' and throughout the struggle between the anti and pro-slavery parties for the control of Kansas it was a centre of pro-slavery influence. ln 1855 it was chartered as a city of the first class. Pop ulation, in 1890. 19.76S: in 20.735. Con sult Burke and Bock. History of Lcaren•orth (Leavenworth. 1850).