MONTPELIER, A city. the capital of Vermont, and eounty-seat of Wash ington County, 40 miles southeast of Burling ton: on the Winooski River, and on the Central Vermont, the Montpelier and Wells River, and the Montpelier and Barre railroads (Map: Ver mont, D 4). The handsome Capitol is built of granite, its dome rising to a height of 124 feet and surmounted by a statue of Agriculture. Among other features of the city are the State Library, the Wood Art Gallery, the Kellogg Library, Washington County Grammar and Montpelier Cnion School Library, and the :Montpelier Sennnary. is the home of Admiral George Dewey and of Rear-Admiral Charles E. Clark. The prineipal industries are granite working and the manufacture of sad dlery, hardware, and saw-mill and other ma chinery. The city controls an important trade with the surrounding region, which is largely agricultural, and is the centre of large insurance interests. Under a revised charter of 1900 the
government is vested in a mayor. annually elected, and a unicameral council which con firms the executive's appointments of police, and elects superintendents of streets and water, health officer, overseers of the poor, and minor officers. The city owns and operates the water works. Population. in 1890. 4160; in 1900. 6266. A eharter to the land ahout Montpelier was se cured in 1781, but no settlement was made until 1787. In 1791 Montpelier was organized as a town, and in 1805 beeame the capital of the State; it was incorporated as a village in 1855, and in 1894 it was chartered as a city. Consult: Thompson, History of Montpelier, 1781-1860 (Montpelier, 1860) ; Bemenway, History of the Town of Montpelier (ib., 1882).