TERRE HAUTE, ter'e ha'. The county-seat of Vigo County, Ind., 72 miles west by south of Indianapolis: on the Wabash River. and on the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and Saint Louis, the Evansville and Terre Haute. the Terre Haute and Indianapolis, the Southern Indiana, and other railroads (Alap: Indiana, B 3). It occu pies an elevated site, and is regularly laid out. Terre Haute is the seat of the Rose Polytechnic Institute, Indiana State Normal School, and Saint Mary's Institute. Other noteworthy in stitutions include the Rose Orphans' Home. Saint Ann's Orphans' Home, Saint Anthony's hospi tal, Union Hospital, and Rose Dispensary. The United States eustom-house and the county court-house are also prominent structures. There is a 'addle library with about 30.000 volumes. Terre Haute carries on considerable trade, being the centre of a productive section. largely devoted to agriculture and containing valuable coal de posits. It is also an important industrial city. The various manufactures in the census year 1900 had $8,938,107 capital and a production valued at $27,784,619. Of the latter amount, more than
half was accredited to the concerns engaged in the distillation of liquors. There are also foun dries and machine shops, flour and hominy mills, clothing factories. rolling mills. slaughter ing and meat-packing establishments. ear works, a brewery, planing mills, and manufactures of carriages, glass, electric motors, stoves. brick, tools, wheels, etc. The government, under the charter of 1902, is vested in a mayor, chosen bi ennially, and a unicameral council. The sub ordinate officials, with the exception of the school board, which is elected by the council, are ap pointed by the mayor. For maintenance and operation the city spends annually about $401, 000, the principal items being: schools, 8139.000; fire department. $40.000; police department, $30, 000: nmnicipal lighting. $27.000; streets. $22, 000: and interest on debt, $21.000. Population, in 1S90, 30.217: in 1900, 36.673. Terre Haute was founded in 1S16 and was chartered as a city in 133.