Home >> New International Encyclopedia, Volume 20 >> Wampum to Wesleyan University >> Washington University

Washington University

school, college, louis and saint

WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY. An un sectarian institution at Saint Louis, Mo.. char tered in 1853 as Eliot Seminary, in honor of Rev. William G. Eliot, of Saint Louis, in deference to whose wishes, however, the name was changed to Washington Institute. Its first educational work under the charter was the opening of an evening school for boys, the O'Fallon Polytechnic Institute. In 1857 the title of Washington Uni versity was assumed, and the first college degrees were granted in 1862. A Law School was or ganized in 1867, the School of Engineering and Architecture in 1870, the School of Fine Arts in 1870, and the School of Botany in 1885. The Saint Louis Medical College, founded in 1842, be came a department of the university in 1891, the Missouri Dental College in 1892, and the Missouri Medical College in 1809. The university now con sists of these departments, with the addition of Smith Academy, a preparatory school for boys; Mary Institute, a school for girls. organized in 1S59; and the Manual Training School, organized in 1879. Students are admitted to the under graduate department on examination or certifi cate from an accredited school. The college con fers the degree of bachelor of arts and the School of Engineering that of bachelor of science. The

professional degrees of civil, mechanical, electri cal. and chemical engineer, and architect are given only after three oĽ more years of success ful practice. The master's degree in art and science and the degree of doctor of philosophy are also conferred. In 1894 a tract of land just out side the city limits was purchased as a new site for the university. and gifts made by citizens of Saint Louis made it possible to begin building at once. Teu buildings had been erected by 1902 and it was expected that the new site would be occupied in September of that year, but the leas ing of the grounds and buildings to the Louisiana Purchase Exposition postponed the removal of the university until after the close of the Exposition. In 1903 the faculty numbered 196 and the stu dent enrollment 2219; of these 241 were in the undergraduate department, 521 in the profes sional schools, 338 in the school of fine arts, and 1120 in the preparatory schools. The library contained 23.000 volumes. The value of the grounds and buildings was estimated in 1903 at $2,250,000, and the total value of the college property at $7,401,451. The endowment was $4,730,485, and the income $223,365.