CAWNPORE, kampor', or CAWNPUR, kali-1)57r' (I lind.lfanhimr, city of Krishna, from Skt. krsna, krish no, black par, Skt. porn, city). A city, capital of a district of the same name in the Allahabad division of the 'Swill West, Provinces, British India, on the right bank of the Ganges, at the junction of the :lamina. 140 miles above Allahabad 1) 3). The stream in front. varying according to the sea sort from 500 yards to more than it mile in width, pre sents a large and motley assemblage of steam vessels and native craft. Cawnpore's modern im portance is due to its t•ommercial facilities, and partly to military and political considerations. Siice 1 888 it has been brought into direct commu nication with Bombay. through the opening of the railway to lhansi. and, at the junction of four lines, it is one of the chief railway stations in In dia. It has an extensive trade in grain and agri cultural produce. and important mannfactures of home commodities, such as cotton, loather. etc. The town eontains mission zenanas, a club. and good hotels. It owns mu
nicipal water-works. It has belonged to the Eng lish since 1S01. The name of Ca wnpore is as sociated with the events of the Sepoy Mutiny, 0110 Of the most terrible episodes of \Odell was enacted here in -Tilly. 18:37, the 111:ISAa•ic of the European WOIllell and children by Nana Sahib. A prominent feature of C:1 Wilimre is the memorial garden, covering, the scene of the massacre. Maro chetti's angel in white marble, under the Gothic monument over the well ill which the dead and dying were east, is a superb piece of sculpture. Though Ca•npore is only 379 feet above the sea, yet during winter considerable quantities of iec arc made for preserva t ion, through the exposing of water by night in shallow vessels. Population, in 11001, 197,000. Area of dis trict, *2360 square miles. Population, in 189l, 1."09,700; in 1901. 1.259,20u. Consult Trevel ;an, Caernpore (London, 1865).