CORDOBA, kor'd6-na, or COR'DOVA. The flourishing capital of the province of the same name in _Argentina, on the Rio Printer°, a tributary of the Parana (Map: Argentina, E 10). It is situated at an elevation of about 1205 feet, and is regularly laid out and well built, except on the surrounding heights, which are in habited mostly by the poorer classes. The city has a fine park, or promenade, and plazas, in the principal of which is situated the cathedral, an imposing structure of composite architecture with a fine cupola, dating from the seventeenth cen tury. The Government palace is also worth men tioning. An equestrian statue of General Paz stands in the plaza of that name. Among the educational institutions are the university— founded by the Jesuits in 1613. thus ranking in age next to that of Lima—a national college, two seminaries, and an observatory and meteorological station. Other features of Cordoba comprise a public library, a well-equipped general hospital, asylums for orphans and the poor, etc. The city
is an episcopal see. Though the surrounding coun try is rendered fertile only by irrigation, Cor doba is an important commercial centre, owing to its geographical position. Live stock. wool, and hides are the chief exports of the vicinity, and beds of calcite are worked. The city has some in dustrial interests, principally manufactures of building material. lime. bricks. and flour. Popu lation. in 1901, 50,000. Cordoba was founded in 1573, the neighborhood having been visited some thirty years before by an officer of Pizarro, and, after becoming the capital of Tucuman, rose to prominence as an educational centre and as the headquarters of the Jesuits in that region. It suf fered to some extent in the revolutionary strug gles. In 1871 C6rdoba was the seat of the first national exposition of Argentina.