DUBLIN. The capital of Ireland, in Dublin C'onnty and the Province of Lei»ster, at the mouth of the river Liffey. in Dublin Bay on the east coast of (Map: Ireland. E 3). It is situated in latitude. 23' N. and longitude 0° 20' W. (observatory). it is built on land re claimed from the sea, and is generally flat. The river. running from west to east between granite walls and parapets. divides the city into two almost equal portions joined by several bridges. On each side there is a spacious roadway, with tall houses and excellent shops. Near the cus tom house there are several large docks in com munication with the Royal and Grand canals; the former connecting Dublin with the North Shan non and the west of Ireland, the latter with the southern portion of the same river and the south. The harbor and docks are protected by two large breakwaters. In the newer parts of Dublin the streets run at right angles and are remarkable for their breadth. The most imposing. is Sack ville Street, which is 120 feet broad. At its north end is the Rotunda, with Rutland Square— in its centre are the beautiful Ionic portico of the general post-otliee and Nelson's monument (up ward of 130 feet high). A feature of Dublin is its square-, which are numerous, spacious. and sometimes well-kept. The southeast and north east quarters contain many beautiful squares, with splendid streets and terraces. The centre, and the northwest quarter are the great empo riums of trade, and the residence of the middle classes, many of whom have private houses in the suburbs. The southwest division, part of which is called the 'T.iberties,' once the seat of the silk trade. is the slum district. The streets in this quarter are narrow, crooked, and irregular. The city is surrounded by a 'circular road' nearly nine miles in length, forming a favorite drive and promenade.
There aoe numerous places of worship, Catho lic and Protestant, monasteries, convents, prio ries, and a Jewish synagogue. The most remark
able among the Protestant churches are Saint Patrick's Cathedral, founded in 1190, and re stored by the munificence of a single individual, and Christ Church, which has also undergone restoration: and among the Catholic, Saint Mary's, Saint Saviour's, Saint Augmstine's. Saint Kilvin's. The public buildings include the Bank of Ireland. formerly the House of Parliament, Trinity College, the custom house, and the Four Courts. Dublin Castle has no pretensions to architectural beauty. There are monuments of William Ill. in College Green. now a paved street; of Nelson. the Duke of Wellington, Gold smith, Burke, Grattan, and many others on va rious public. sites. The environs of Dublin are especially beautiful. Rathmines, a southern suburb, has become a large township. and is the favorite residence of the wealthier part of the mercantile ennummity. Glasnevin, on the north, deserves special notice as the favorite residence of the poet Tickell, of Addison. Steele, l'arnell, Swift. Sheridan, and ninny other celebrities. In the cemetery at Glasnevin lie the remains of Curran, o'Connell, and Toni Steele. l'hamix Park is a magnificent area of over 1750 acres, in some parts level, in others with broken !=round, having a large amount of timber nil brushwood. which shelter herds of deer. It affords ample scope for military reviews. and is extensively used by the inhabitants of Dublin for reereation. The Lord Lieutenant or Vice roy of Ireland holds his court in Dublin Castle during the winter months. and in the summer season removes to the Lodge. situated beyond Phomi x Pa rk.
The chief educational institution of Dublin is Trinity (Algi. and University. (See Dt