Home >> Encyclopedia-britannica-volume-01-a-anno >> Abhidhamma to Acanthocephala >> Abrantes

Abrantes

Loading


ABRANTES, a town of central Portugal, in the district of Santarem, on the right bank of the river Tagus. Pop. (1930), 8,881. Abrantes is a fortified town, with trade in fruit, olive oil and grain. It is of military value as it commands the highway down the Tagus valley to Lisbon. Founded about 30o B.c. as an Iberian settlement, it was called Aurantes by the Romans ; per haps owing to the alluvial gold (aurum) of the Tagus. It was captured on Nov. 24, 1807, by the French under General Junot, who for this achievement was created duke of Abrantes. By the Convention of Cintra (Aug. 22, 1808) the town was restored to the British and Portuguese.

tagus