AGANA, the capital and largest city of the island of Guam. The city is situated on the west coast on a low sandy beach that skirts the bay of the same name, and is about 5m. N.E. of Piti, the 1?ort of entry for all water shipments, with which it is con nected by an excellent road. The population, which is more than 9o% native (Chamorro), was 7,432, 192o; 8,69o, 193o; munici pality 193o, I1,042. The mean annual temperature is about 81 °, and is nearly constant throughout the year ; the daily variation is small. It is thought that Agana was an important village before the coming of the Spaniards, who, during their 30o years of occu pation, made it the governmental and religious centre of the island. On Feb. 1, 1899, Guam formally passed to the United States and the governor's palace at Agana became the Government house. Near the centre of the city is the Plaza de Espana, an open green about Iooyd. square, bordered on all sides by rows of coconut palms. About the plaza are situated the Government house, the barracks, Dorn hall, which is used as a public school during the day, the court-house and the Catholic church. Beyond the church is the naval hospital. Agana has two elementary schools and the only high school in Guam, a modern sewage system, a good water system, an electric light plant, telephones and a cold storage plant.