ALMORA, a town and district of British India, the chief town and administrative headquarters of the Kumaon division of the United Provinces, situated on a mountain ridge of the Him alayas 5,494ft. above the sea. Pop. (1931), 9,688. The town has a college called after Sir Henry Ramsay, several schools and a large cantonment. The climate is supposed to be particularly kindly to sufferers from lung trouble. The town was captured in 1790 by the Gurkhas, who constructed a fort on the eastern ex tremity of the ridge. Another citadel, Ft. Moira, is situated at the other end of the ridge. Almora is also celebrated as the scene of the British victory which terminated the war with Nepal in 1815.
The district of Almora was constituted in 1891, together with Naini Tal, by a redistribution of the two former districts of Kumaon and the Tarai. It lies among the mountains of Kumaon between the upper waters of the Ganges and the Gogra, here called the Kali. Area, 5,389sq.m. ; pop. , Tea is grown in the district, which includes the military sanatorium of Ranikhet.