ARECIBO, an important town situated on the north coast of Porto Rico. The population of the town itself was census 1920; 1930, 12,863; and that of the municipal district in 193o was 56,525. The port has not been improved, but a survey has been made and the development of the city as a port will follow. The district tributary to the city is rich in sugar-cane, coffee and fruits. Cotton and vegetables are also grown. The city is connected with the capital, San Juan, an important port and distributing station, by a railway which extends also west and south and almost around the island. First-class highways also extend east and west, while the interior is tapped by two main roads across the island.
Several industrial establishments are located in the town. The situation on a beautiful bay of the Atlantic is admirable, and the town has well paved streets, an independent water system, electric lights, telephone communication, hospitals, theatres and other public improvements. Arecibo has a superior school system, and religious, charitable and social institutions abound. There are many attractive residences and the stores and shops are modern and business conditions satisfactory. Arecibo is one of the oldest municipalities and towns of the island. The municipal corporation was authorized as early as 1537 by a royal decree of the Spanish Crown. The town itself was founded in 1616 by Felipe de Beau mont, who gave it the name of San Felipe de Arecibo.
(H. M. T.)