BAREILLY or BARELI, a city and district of British India in the Rohilkhand division of the United Provinces. The city is situated on the Ramganga river, 812m. N.W. from Cal cutta by rail. Pop. (1931) 144,031. The principal buildings are two mosques built in the 17th century; a modern fort overlooking the cantonments; the railway station, which is an important junc tion on the Oudh and Rohilkhand line ; the palace of the nawab of Rampur, and the Government college. Bareilly is the head quarters of a brigade. The chief manufactures are furniture and upholstery.
The district of Bareilly has an area of 1,579 sq. miles. It is a level country, watered by many streams, the general slope being towards the south. The soil is fertile and highly cultivated, groves of noble trees abound, and the villages have a neat, pros perous look. A tract of forest jungle, called the tarai, stretches along the extreme north of the district, and teems with large game, such as tigers, bears, deer, wild pigs, etc. The river Sarda or Gogra forms the eastern boundary of the district and is the principal stream. Next in importance is the Ramganga, which receives as its tributaries most of the hill torrents of the Kumaon mountains; and after it come the Deoha and the Gumti. The population iii 1931 was 1,07 2,3 79. Many of the Mohammedan families in the district claim descent from the Yusafzai Afghans, called the Rohilla Pathans, who settled in the country about the year 172o. During the Mutiny of 1857 the Rohillas took a very active part against the English; and they have frequently distin guished themselves by fanatical tumults against the Hindus. The district is irrigated from the Rohilkhand system of Government canals.