BONIFACIO, maritime town, in southern Corsica, arrondisse ment of Sartene, 87m. S.S.E. of Ajaccio by road. Pop. (1931) Bonifacio overlooks the straits of that name separating Corsica from Sardinia and occupies a remarkable situation on a peninsula of limestone parallel to the coast and enclosing a nar row harbour. Founded about 828 by a Tuscan marquis, as a de fence against Saracen pirates, in the II th century it became sub ject to Pisa, and in the 12th was taken and colonized by the Geno ese, whose influence may be traced in the character of the popu lation. In 142o it withstood a protracted siege by Alphonso V. of Aragon. In 1554 it fell into the hands of the Franco-Turkish army. St. Dominic, built (13th century) by the Templars, and the cathedral of Santa Maria Maggiore (12th century) are the chief buildings. The fortifications and citadel date from the 16th and 17th centuries. Trade is chiefly with Sardinia in cereals, wine, and cork. Cork-cutting, tobacco-manufacture and coral fishing are carried on. The olive is largely cultivated and there are oil-works in the town.