BODLEY, GEORGE FREDERICK English architect, was born at Hull on March 14, 1827, the son of a physician. He was articled to Sir Gilbert Scott, under whose in fluence he became imbued with the spirit of the Gothic revival, and gradually became known as the chief exponent of 14th cen tury English Gothic, and the leading ecclesiastical architect in England. One of his first churches was St. Michael and All Angels, Brighton, and among his principal erections may be mentioned : All Saints, Cambridge; Eton Mission church, Hackney Wick; Clumber church; Eccleston church; Hoar Cross church; St. Augustine's, Pendlebury; Holy Trinity, Kensington; Chapel Aller ton, Leeds; St. Faith's, Brentford; Queen's college chapel, Cam bridge; Marlborough college chapel; and Burton church. His domestic work included the London School Board offices, the new buildings at Magdalen, Oxford, and Hewell Grange (for Lord Windsor). From 1869 he was for 20 years in partnership with Mr. T. Garner. He also designed (with his pupil James Vaughan) the cathedral at Washington (D.C.), U.S.A., and cathedrals at San Francisco and in Tasmania ; and when Mr. Gilbert Scott won the competition for the new Liverpool cathedral Bodley collaborated as supervisor of its erection. Bodley was elected A.R.A., in 1881 and R.A., in 1902. In addition to being a most learned master of architecture, he was a beautiful draughts man, and a connoisseur in art ; he published a volume of poems in 1899; and he was a designer of wallpapers and chintzes for Watts and Co., of Baker street, London; in early life he had been in close alliance with the Pre-Raphaelites, and, like William Morris, he did a great deal to improve public taste in domestic decoration and furniture. He died on Oct. 21, 1907, at Water Eaton, Oxford.