CALTAGIRONE, a city and episcopal see of the province of Catania, Sicily, situated above sea-level, 36m. S.W. of Catania direct (55m. by rail) . Pop. (1931) town 34,160 ; com mune 38,178. Extensive Sicel cemeteries have been explored to the north of the town, and a Greek necropolis of the 6th and 5th centuries B.C. has been found to the south-east. Remains of buildings of Roman date have also been discovered ; but the name of the ancient city is unknown. The present name is a corruption of the Saracen Kalat-al-Girche (the castle of Girche, the chieftain who fortified it). Majolica is made here, and the town is pros perous.