Home >> Encyclopedia-britannica-volume-15-maryborough-mushet-steel >> Charles Mohun Mohun to Estimate Of Moliere >> Eligius F R a

Eligius F R a N Z Joseph Munch-Bellinghausen

city, der, muncie and ed

MUNCH-BELLINGHAUSEN, ELIGIUS F R A N Z JOSEPH, FREIHERR VON ( I 806-1871 , Austrian poet and dramatist (who wrote under the pseudonym "Friedrich Halm"), was born at Cracow on April 2, i8o6, the son of a district judge. In 184o he became Regierungsrat, in 1845 Hof rat and custodian of the royal library, in 186i life member of the Austrian Herren haus (upper chamber), and from 1869 to 1871 was intendant of the two court theatres in Vienna. He died at Hiitteldorf near Vienna on May 22, 1871. Munch-Bellinghausen's dramas, among them notably Griseldis (1835; publ. 1837; 11th ed., 1896), Der Adept (1836; publ. 1838), Camoens (1838), Der Sohn der Wildnis (1842; loth ed., 1896), and Der Fechter von Ravenna (1854; publ. 1857; 6th ed., are well written and cleverly con structed, and were popular in their day.

See F. Pachler, Jugend and Lehrjahre des Dichters F. Halm (1877). MUNCIE, a city of eastern Indiana, U.S.A., 54 m. N.E. of Indianapolis, on the White river, at an altitude of 95o ft.; the county seat of Delaware county. It has a municipal airport m. from the business district, and is served by the Big Four, the Chesapeake and Ohio, the Nickel Plate, the Pennsylvania, and three belt-line railways, and by numerous interurban trolleys and motor-bus lines. The population was 36,524 in 1920 (92% native white) and was 46,548 in 1930 by the Federal census. It is a well built city, occupying 7 sq.m. of level ground, with an as

sessed valuation for 1927 of $59,980,220. The residential sec tions are beautiful with trees and wide lawns ; zoning regulations are in force; and a boulevard along the river is under construc tion (1928). The Ball Teachers' college in the western part of the city (named after the Ball brothers, manufacturers of Muncie, who since 1918 have given about $5oo,000 to the institution) is the eastern division of the State Normal school. It has a plant valued at $2,000,000 and an enrolment of about 1,250. Muncie has a wide trading territory, embracing 22 counties of eastern Indiana and western Ohio. Its manufacturing industries are many and varied, with an output in 1927 valued at $52,381,207. The principal products are automobile parts, tops, bodies, hoods and castings; storage batteries, glass fruit jars and jelly glasses, in sulators and bottles ; and steel wire and cable and articles made from them. The combined resources of the banks amounted in 1927 to $15,000,000. Muncie was founded about 1833, incor porated as a town in 1847 and as a city in 1865. Its name (origi nally Munseytown, but changed by the state legislature in 1845) commemorates the Munsees, a division of the Delaware Indians, who formerly lived along the White river.