MINNESOTA, UNIVERSITY OF, established under the Territorial Act in 1851 and perpetuated by provisions of the State Constitution, the university of Minnesota began its work of instruction in 1868. By 1928 it had become one of the largest of American universities. The scope of its instruction is exemplified by the fact that during the academic year from Sept. 1935 to June 1936, 15,328 students pursued regular work in such varied subjects as science, literature and arts; engineering and archi tecture; agriculture, forestry and home economy ; law ; medi cine, nursing and medical technical service; dentistry and dental nursing; mines; pharmacy; chemistry; education ; business admin istration and graduate courses.
The university also conducts a summer session in nearly all of its schools and colleges with a total enrolment of over 5,60o students. It conducts four schools of agriculture of less than college grade, and one teacher-training high school, the enrolment in the five schools being 1,833 during 1935-36. Extension courses having regular class instruction in sciences, arts, business administration and engineering were pursued by 6,983 students, correspondence study courses by 2,481 students, and a wide variety of special short courses by 2,759 students. A total of 2,428
degrees was granted during 1935-36, of which 312 were awarded by the graduate school, 8o of these being the degree of Doctor of Philosophy.
The university carries on an extensive program including research and State service. In co-operation with the Federal Gov ernment the agricultural experiment station, through an expendi ture of $570,000, studies important agricultural problems. The Mayo foundation for research in medicine works in co-operation with the Mayo clinic at Rochester, Minn., upon the most funda mental problems of human diseases. The engineering experiment station conducts researches. State services of a wide variety are provided in lectures, entertainments, reading and study materials, boys' and girls' clubs and county agricultural agents and in a cen tre for continuation study. (L. D. C.)