SAN LEANDRO, a city of Alameda county, California, U.S.A., adjoining Oakland on the south. It is served by the Southern Pacific and the Western Pacific railways. Pop. (192o) was 5,703 (32% foreign-born white) and was 11,455 in 193o by the Federal census. Its manufactures include caterpillar tractors, ladders, hay presses, and canned and evaporated fruit. A cherry festival is held annually. The city was settled in 1836 and in corporated in 1874. It has a council-manager form of government. SAN LUCAR (SANIAjCAR DE BARRAMEDA), a fortified sea port of southern Spain, in the province of Cadiz; 27 m. by sea from Cadiz, on the left bank of the Guadalquivir estuary, and on the Puerto de Santa Maria-San Lucar and Jerez de la Frontera Bonanza railways. Pop. (1930), 26,887. Inscriptions and ruins prove that San Lucar and Bonanza were Roman settlements, though the original names are unknown. San Lucar was captured from the Moors in 1264, after an occupation lasting more than five and a half centuries. After 1492 it became an important
centre of trade with America. From this port Columbus sailed across the Atlantic in 1498, and Magellan started in 1519 to cir cumnavigate the world. The 14th-century church and the palace of the dukes of Medina Sidonia contain many valuable pictures. The hospital of St. George was established by Henry VIII. of England. The Guadalquivir estuary is deep and sheltered. Bo nanza, 2 m. by rail up the river, and on the same bank, is the headquarters of the shipping and fishing trades. It is named after a chapel dedicated here by the South American Company of Seville to the Virgin of Fair Weather (Virgen de la Bonanza). The fisheries and agricultural trade of San Lucar are consider able; there are flour mills in the town.