CORTONA, PIETRO BERnuTTIxI DA. 1596-1669; an Italian architect and painter employed by Urban VIII. to decorate a chapel and to execute the frescoes on the ceiling of the grand salon of the Barberini palace, which, with others from his hand, are among the most remarkable specimens of decorative art of the period. The church of Santa Maria del Pace in Rome was his best architectural work.
C013,17tA Corunna), a fortified seaport of Spain, situated on a small head land in the Atlantic, formed by the three bays of Betanzos, Coruna, and El Ferrol, about midway between capes Finisterre and Ortegal, in lat. 43" 22' n., long. 8' 22' west. C., which is a thriving place, is built partly on the slope and partly at the foot of a hill, and is divided into the upper and lower towns, the former being the most ancient. The lower town, which was formerly inhabited chiefly by fishermen, is now more important than the upper. It is well built, chiefly of granite, and some of its streets are broad and well paved. There are few public buildings of any note in Corufia. A citadel defends the town, and the harbor, protected by forts, is safe and commodious. In 1871, 356
vessels, with an aggregate tonnage of U,927 tons, entered, and the same number and tonnage cleared the port. During the same year, the value of cargoes amounted to £119,260. Pop. 23,500. C. dates its origin from the Plicenicians, from whom it was taken by the Romans in the 1st c. For Englishmen, great historical interest attaches to Coruna. Here, in 1386, John of Gaunt landed to claim the crown of Castile in right of his wife, daughter of Pedro the cruel; in 1554, Philip II. embarked here for England to marry queen Mary; and in 1588, the great Spanish armada, which had been refitted at this port, set sail for the conquest of England. But C. is best known in connection with the death of sir John Moore, who, as a fitting conclusion to his memorable retreat, with about 14,000 men defeated (Jan. 16, 1809) on the heights of Elvina, behind C., 20,000 French under Soult. Moore, who was mortully wounded in the action, was buried on the ramparts in his military cloak. A monument, erected by the British government, marks the place of his burial.