MOUNT VERNON, the estate of President Washington, in Fairfax co., Va., on the right bank of the Potomac river; 15 miles S. of Washington. The dwelling is a wooden mansion, 96 feet long, erected on a bluff 200 feet above the river, and commanding an excellent view. The estate, originally named Hunting Creek and comprising 800 acres, was inherited by Washington in 1752 from his brother Lawrence, who had changed the name in honor of his for mer commander, Admiral Vernon of the British navy. The central part of the house was built by Lawrence, and the wings were added by George. The house and 200 acres of land around it were bought by the Mount Vernon Ladies' As sociation in 1859 for $200,000, raised in great part through the exertions of Ed ward Everett, and have been restored as nearly as possible to their condition in George Washington's lifetime. In ascend ing from the river to the house the visi tor passes the plain, brick tomb of Wash ington, containing, behind an iron grat ing, two sarcophagi with the remains of the general and his wife, Martha. The
home contains an abundance of interest ing relics of which, perhaps, the key of the French Bastille is the most notable. The room in which Washington died is at the S. end of the first floor, and Mrs. Washington died in the one immediately above it. The tiles in the piazza were brought from the Isle of Wight. The ing of schools of equitation, farriers and horseshoers, bakers and cooks. The courses number four for the first, two for the second, two for the third. Only the School of Equitation gives tuition to officers. The staff consists of a com mandant, instructors, detachment, and student officers and enlisted men.