MOZAMBIQUE, the principal province of Portuguese East Africa. It lies be tween former German East Africa on the N. and British East Africa on the S. and extends from Cape Delgado to Kose Bay, a point just below Delagoa Bay, a distance of 1,300 miles. The N. boundary is formed principally by the Rovuma river; the S. in part by the Maputo.; and the W. frontiers by Lake Nyasa, the British protectorate Nyasa land, Rhodesia, and the provinces of the Transvaal and of Natal of the Union of South Africa. This demarcation includes the dependencies of Lourengo Marquez, Zambesia, Inhambane and Gaza, the whole being known as Portuguese East Africa. The limits of this territory were defined by an agreement made between Great Britain and Portugal, in 1891, and Germany and Portugal in 1886 and 1890; the included area is about 300,000 square miles. The forests yield valuable orna mental woods. The soil is naturally fer tile, producing maize, rice, manioc, cot ton, sesame, cocoanut, india-rubber and medicinal plants. The country is rich in
minerals, coal, iron, silver, gold and cop per being found there; and mines of the two last named are worked to some ex tent. The imports consist of cotton goods, hardware, arms and gunpowder, coal, beer, wine and provisions; the exports of ivory, ground nuts, oil seeds, honey, india-rubber, gums, ivory, tortoise-shell, amber and gold dust. The shipping is mostly in the hands of British firms. The chief towns are Mozambique, Chinde, Quilimane and Lourengo Marquez (pop. about 13,000). The population of the colony is about 3,120,000. The adminis tration is in the hands of a Governor General, who is located at Lourengo Mar quez. The town of Mozambique, the capi tal of the province, stands on a small coral island, separated from the main land by the narrowest part of the Mo zambique Channel.