MUNICH (nanik) (German Mun chen), the capital city of Bavaria, on an extensive plateau, about 1,700 feet above sea-level, chiefly on the left bank of the Isar. The old town has a quaint and irregular character, but the new town, which has sprung up chiefly to the N. and W., has a regular and imposing appearance, and altogether Munich is one of the finest towns in Germany. Vast improvements are due to the munificence of King Ludwig I. The royal palace forms a very extensive series of build ings chiefly in the Italian style, and con tains many magnificent apartments and rich artistic and other treasures. Con nected with it are the court church and the court and national theater, among the largest in Germany. The city is highly celebrated for its fine galleries of sculpture (Glyptothek) and painting (Old and New Pinakothek), and for various other important collections, such as that of the Bavarian national museum. The royal library (occupying a fine build ing in the Florentine style) has upward of 1,000,000 volumes and 30,000 MSS., being thus one of the largest in Europe. The university had in 1915, 265 profes sors and teachers, and 5,539 students in theology, jurisprudence, medicine, and philosophy, together with a library of over 300,000 volumes. There is an acad
emy of science, an academy of arts, and many fine churches, including the ca thedral, founded in 1488. In addition to the public edifices, properly so called, Munich is rich in monuments, which adorn its squares, gardens, and public promenades. The so-called English Gar den (laid out by Count Rumford) is a fine park of 600 acres watered by two arms of the Isar. The industries were numerous, and in some particular branches have acquired a high name. Among others may be mentioned painted glass and other artistic productions, mathematical, optical, and surgical in struments, gold and silver lace, jewelry, glass, carriages, bells, musical instru ments, etc. Munich is the seat of the high courts of legislature and of law, and of all the more important offices of the state. It was founded by Henry, Duke of Saxony, in 962; taken by Gustavus Adol phus in 1632, by the French under Mo reau in 1800, and by Napoleon in 1805. Pop. about 650,000.