NANTES (nongt), the 7th largest city of France, capital of the department of Loire-Inferieure, on the right bank of the tidal Loire (here 2,000 yards wide, and joined by the navigable Erdre and Sevre-Nantaise), 35 miles from the sea, and 248 S. VT. of Paris. The natural beauties of the site have been much im proved by art, and, the old town hav ing been demolished 1865-1870, Nantes is one of the handsomest cities in France, with its noble river, quays, bridges, shady boulevards, squares, and statues. The unfinished cathedral (1434-1852) contains Colomb's splendid monument (1507) to the last Duke and Duchess of Brittany, and another (1879) to General Lamoriciere. The ducal castle, founded in 938, and rebuilt in 1466, was the occasional residence of Charles VIII. and most of his successors, the prison of Cardinal de Retz and Fou quet, and the place where on April 15, 1598, Henry IV. signed the famous Edict of Nantes. Other notable build
ings are the splendid Church of St. Nicholas (1854), the court house (1853), the theater (1787), and the new post office (1884), besides a museum, a picture gallery, and a library of 50,000 volumes. The harbor has been extensively im proved in recent years. The chief in dustries are sugar making, shipbuilding, and manufactories of copper and iron. The chief exports are hardware, cereals, and preserved provisions; the chief im ports sugar, iron, cocoa, and wines. The Portus Nannetum of the Romans, and the former capital of Brittany—a rank it disputed with Rennes—Nantes has witnessed the marriage of Anne of Btit tany to Louis XII. (1499), the em barkation of the Young Pretender (1745), the fall of the Vendean leader Cathelineau (1793), and the arrest of the Duchess of Berri (1832). Fouche was a native. Pop. about 175,000.