NEW BRITAIN, a city in Hartford co., Conn.; on the New York, New Haven, and Hartford railroad; 10 miles S. W. of Hartford. Here are a high school, State Normal School, public library, technical school, New Britain Institute, hospital, electric lights, street railroads, water works on the gravity system, daily and weekly newspapers, and several Na tional banks. It has manufactories of hardware, in which it ranks first in the United States, electrical supplies, ho siery, cutlery, gas 'and water motors, steam engines and boilers, bolts and hinges, malleable castings, plain and fancy locks, machine needles, brick, edge tools, wood screws, etc. The as sessed property valuation exceeds $58, 000,000. Pop. (1910) 43,916; (1920) 59,316.
NEW rRIINSWICK, a Province of the Dominion of Canada, on the E. coast of North America; bounded W. by the State of Maine; N. W. by the Province of Quebec; N. by Chaleur Bay; E. by the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Northum berland Strait, the latter separating it from Prince Edward Island; and S. by the Bay of Fundy and part of Nova Scotia; area, 27,985 square miles; pop. (1916) 351,889.
The coast line is interrupted only at the point of junction with Nova Scotia, where an isthmus of not more than 14 miles in breadth connects the two terri tories, and separates Northumberland Strait from the Bay of Fundy. The gen eral surface of the country is level, but hilly in the N. W. The principal rivers are the St. John, 450 miles in length, and navigable for vessels of 100 tons to Fredericton, 90 miles from its entrance into the Bay of Fundy; and the Mira michi, 225 miles in length, which falls into the bay of the same name, and is navigable for large vessels 25 miles from the gulf. There are a number of lakes, the largest, Grand Lake, being 25 miles long by about 5 miles broad. Coal is plentiful, and iron ore abundant; the former is said to extend over 10,000 square miles or above one-third of the whale area. The climate, like that of other portions of Canada, is subject to extremes of heat and cold, but is, on the whole, healthful. After agriculture, lum
bering and fishing are the main occupa tions of the inhabitants, though many are engaged in mining and manufactur ing. A very large portion of the soil is adapted for agriculture, but only a small part is developed. Cereals are largely grown and the fruit industry is impor tant. Great attention is given to the improvement of live stock. The produc tion of the principal crops in 1918 was: wheat, 1,050,000 bushels; oats, 7,855,000 bushels; buckwheat, 1,793,000 bushels.
New Brunswick is one of the most amply wooded countries in the world, and the forests supply three-fourths of the total exports. The fisheries are very valuable. In 1918 they yielded over $6,300,000. The minerals exported in clude coal, gypsum, antimony ore, cop per ore, manganese, plumbago, and un wrought stone.
1917 there were 1,423 establishments, with a capital of $65,539,370, 18,668 employees, and a product valued at $62,417,466. There were 255 lumber mills with a product valued at $14,426,922.
The Province is divided into 15 coun ties, and is administered by a lieuten ant-governor, an executive council con sistine of seven members, a legislative council of 18 members appointed for life, and a Legislative Assembly. The Province has 10 seats in the Dominion Senate and 16 in the House of Com mons. Religion is abundantly provided for, as is education, both high and ele mentary. The latter is free, but not compulsory. New Brunswick was dis covered by Sebastian Cabot in 1498; it formed, with Nova Scotia, the French colony of Acadia (1604-1713) ; was twice ceded to the British (1713 and 1763) ; received Tory settlers from the United States at the close of the Revo lution; was erected into a separate Prov ince in 1786; was granted responsible government in 1848; and in 1867 be came an original Province of the Domin ion of Canada. The capital is Frederic ton, but the chief commercial center is St. John (pop, about 65,000), which has one of the finest harbors on the North Atlantic.