ALBUQUERQUE, al'bii-kfirle, N. M., largest city of the State and county-seat of Bernalillo County; situated on the Rio Grande and the Atchinson, Texas and Santa Fe and the Santa Fe and New Mexico Central rail roads, 56 miles in a direct line southwest of Santa Fe. It has an elevation of 4,930 feet above sea-level; is an ancient and interesting settlement, divided into the Old and New towns and is the seat of the University of New Mex ico and of a government school for Indians, the latter founded in 1881, the former organ ized in 1889. Under the Spanish regime, Fran cisco Cuervo y Valdez became governor of New Mexico 10 March 1705, and he established in 1706 a town or °villa* to which he gave the name Alburquerque (now Albuquerque) in honor of the viceroy of New Spain, the Duke of Alburquerque (not to be confused with the Portuguese Alfonso dAlbuquerque). The church of S. Felipe, which was built almost immediately afterward, has never been entirely destroyed, and therefore the present edifice in the °Old Town" may still claim to be its con tinuation (consult Prince, 'Spanish Mission Churches of New Mexico,' Cedar Rapids 1915). The city is renowned as a health resort, the winter climate being exceptionally good, and six large sanatoriums have been located here.
Noteworthy features are the Federal building and the Harvey Indian Museum with its large and truly representative collection of Indian baskets and blankets. The Isleta Indian pueblo is about 13 miles distant, toward the south. The last census showed that 16.3 per cent of the total value of New Mexico's products must be credited to Albuquerque. The varied indus tries range from mining (gold, copper, lead, zinc) to fruit-growing and truck-farming. We mention also the extensive lumber interests, railroad shops, woolen mill, Indian trading company, foundries and machine shops, flour mills and tie-preserving plant. The United States census of 1914 reported 55 manufactur ing establishments of factory grade employing 1,008 persons, of whom 847 were wage earners, receiving a total of $654,000 in wages. The capital employed aggregated $1,593,000, and the output was valued at $1,914,000; of this, $1,020, 000 was added by manufacture. These figures show an increase of 48.6 per cent over those of 1909. Pop. (1910) 11,020; (1916) 26,000.