ALDERSHOT, Camp at, a permanent camp for the army in England, com menced in 1854 by the purchase on the part of government of an extensive tract of moorland known by the name of Aldershot Heath, lying on the confines of Surrey, Hampshire and Berkshire. The object was to accustom the officers and soldiers to act in brigades and di visions, and to familiarize them with the opera tions of a campaign by accustoming them to camp life, and exercising them in all the evolu tions which they might be required to perform when brought into actual contact with the enemy. The Basingstoke Canal divides the camp into a North and a South Camp (other wise known respectively as Marlborough and Stanhope Lines). The accommodation pro vided for the army consisted at first of wooden huts of the simplest construction; but these have been superseded by brick buildings, and altogether the money expended on the camp has amounted to upward of $20,000,000. Until 1899
the Aldershot garrison consisted of troops available for service with the first army corps. It was later used by volunteers and militia for their annual training, and after the outbreak of the European War in 1914 vast numbers of raw conscripts were trained there before leaving for the battle fronts in Belgium, France and Macedonia. A town has sprung up in the neigh borhood of the camp immediately beyond the government ground, on the edge of which the camp is established. The town of Aldershot is in Hampshire, to the south of the barracks. It contains several churches, hotels, numerous shops, and offers accommodation of various kinds, good and bad, to the soldiers; thus there are schools, newspapers, missions, literary in stitutes, music-halls, public-houses, etc. There is a fine equestrian statue of the Duke of Wellington. Pop. (1911) 35,175.