Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 1 >> Albani to Alligator >> Alexandria

Alexandria

city, washington and line

ALEXANDRIA, Va., city and port of entry of Alexandria County, situated on the Potomac River, the Pennsylvania, the Southern, the Atlantic Coast Line, the Baltimore and Ohio, the Seaboard Air Line and the Chesa peake and Ohio, and trolley line connecting with Washington, D. C., and Mount Vernon; six miles south of Washington. The river here expands to the width of a mile and gives the city an excellent harbor that will accommo date the largest vessels. The city is an import ant trade centre, and is noted for its educa tional institutions, which include Washington High School, Potomac, Mt. Vernon and St. Mary's academies, and nearby the Theological Seminary and High School of the Diocese of Virginia (Protestant Episcopal). The city's manufactures include glass, fertilizers, pumps, silks and thread, and there are also machine shops and breweries. The United States census of 1914 recorded 49 establishments of factory grade employing 1,716 persons, of whom 1,503 were wage earners, receiving $857,000 in wages. The capital engaged amounted to $4,573,000, and the output was valued at $3,660,000; of this $1,701,000 was added by manufacture. There

are four national banks, public school property valued at $35,000, and daily and weekly period icals. Among the objects of special interest are the public library, the Confederate monument entitled ((Appomattox,'" the Marshall House, and Old Christ Church, of which Washington was one of the first vestrymen, and which con tains his pew and that of General Lee. Gen eral Braddock made his headquarters at Alex andria (originally called Belhaven) in 1755. During the Civil War it was the capital of that part of Virginia which adhered to the Union; and in 1861 Colonel Ellsworth, an officer in Major-General McDowell's army, was shot after tearing down a Confederate flag which floated from the Marshall House. Alexandria was first incorporated in 1749. It is governed, under a charter of 1879 revised in 1895, by a mayor and bicameral city council, which elects the minor officers; the more important ones such as the treasurer, auditor, etc., being elected by the people.