ALLAHABAD, Ma-ha-bad' (from Allah, God; abad, abode; the "abOde of God")India, an ancient city, capital of a division and 'district of the same name, as well as of the whole of the northwest provinces, 72 miles west of Benares. The native town consists largely of mud houses. Its English suburb of Canning town has much more of a European aspect. Among the remarkable buildings of Allahabad are a large triangular fort, occupying a point of land formed by the junction of the Ganges and Jumna; the Jumna Igusjid, or great mosque; the mausoleum of Khosru; All Saints' Church; the Roman Catholic cathedral; the Muir Cen tral College, founded in 1874, the chief educa tional establishment of the northwest provinces; the Mayo Memorial and town hall. Allahabad is one of the chief resorts of Hindu pilgrims, who come partly to visit a sacred cave under the Chali Saturn temple (whence it is said there is a subterranean passage to Benares), but chiefly to have their sins washed away by bathing in the waters of the sacred rivers of Ganges and Jun= at their junction, where believers see a third river, the Saraswati (which is in reality lost in the sands at a distance of 400 miles from Allahabad), mingle its current with those of the other two. A great fair held
on 14 December is much attended by pilgrims. There are few manufactures. Allahabad forms a junction in the railway system between Ben gal and Central India, and its trade is rapidly increasing. In the mutiny of 1857 it was the scene of a serious outbreak and massacre. Pop. 171,700. The division of Allahabad contains the districts of Cawnpur, Futtehpur, Hamirpur, Banda, Jhansi, Jalaun, Lalitpur and Allahabad. The agriculture of the division is greatly pro moted by a canal 310 miles long, connecting the Ganges and the Jumna. About five-sixths of the surface is under cultivation, the principal crops being rice, pulse, wheat, tobacco, etc.