ELWOOD, Ind., city in Madison County, on the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and Saint Louis and the Lake Erie and Westem railroads, about 50 miles northeast of Indian apolis. It is surrounded by an agricultural re gion and is in a natural-gas belt. Its industries are chiefly lumber, flour, tin-plate mills, window, iron works, saw and planing mills, bricicyards, canneries, plate glass and lamp chimney and other factories. The United States census of manufactures for 1914 showed within the city limits 40 industrial establishments of factory grade, employing 2,216 persons, 1,969 being wage earners, receiving annually $1,484,000 in wages. The capital invested aggregated $4,624,000, and the year's output was valued at V,199,000: of this, $2,507,000 was the value added by manufacture. Its shipping trade con sists in the avicultural products of the sur rounding.cquntry and the articles ma.nufactured in the city. The city maintains a ptiblic library. Pop. 12,000.
ELY, Richard Theodore, American politi cal economist: b. Ripley, N. Y., 13 April 1854. He was educated at Columbia College (A.B. 1876, A.M. 1879, Fellow in Letters, 1876-79), and stuched at the universities of Halle, Heidelberg (Ph.D. 1879) and Geneva; Royal Statistical Bureau, Berlin, 1879-80; LL.D. Hobart Col lege, 1892. He was head of the department of political economy at Johns Hopkins, 1881-92, when he became professor of political economy in the University of Wiscpnsin. He was mem ber of the Baltimore Tax Commission, 1885-86; of the Maryland Tax Commission, 1886-88, and founded the Ammican Bureau of Industrial Research in 1904 and has since been one of its directors. He was one of the founders of the American Economic Association, 1885; its secretary, 1&85-92; its twice elected president, 1899-1901, and was first president of the Ameri can Association for Labor Legislation, 1907-08. In 1913 he was appointed lecturer at the Lon don University; has traveled in Great Britain and Ireland and Germany investigating land problems; was invited in 1914 by the New Zealand govermnent to visit New Zealand; member of the International Statistical Insti tute. Hepublished (French and German Social ism in Modern Times' (1883) ; (Taxation in American States and Cities' (1888) ; (Outlines of Economccs) (1893) ; 'Monopolies and Trusts' (1893) ; (Socialism and Social Reform' (1894) ; 'Studies in the Evolution of Industrial Society' (1903) ; 'Property and Contract in their Relation to the Distribution of Wealth) (1914) ; editor of (Macmillan's Citizen's Library of Economics, Politics and Sociology,' also (Macmillan's Social Science Text-books.'
ELY, Theodore Newel, Audeilcan civil engineer: b. Watertown, N. Y., 23 June 1846. He was graduated at the Rensselaer Poly technic Institute in 1866. . Front 1868 to 1910 he was a member of the engineering department of the Pennsylvania Railroad. He also held directorships in the Pennsylvania Steel pany and the Cambria Steel Company; was trustee of the Drexel Institute and director of the Philadelphia Academy of Fine Arts. He is honorary member of the American Institute of Architects and vice-president of the Ameri can Academy in Rome. In 1904 he was presi dent of the Eastern Railroad Association.
ELY, England, an episcopal city in the county of Cambridge, about 15 miles northeast of Cambridge, on the Ouse. The place is noted for its cathedral, one of the most remarkable edifices of the kind in England. It was founded in 1083 and displays in itself all the styles of architecture from early Norman to late Perpendicular. It is a cruciform building, 537 feet long and 190 feet across the transepts. The nave is 208 feet long and the tower 215 feet high. It occupies the site of a monastery founded about the year 673 by Saint Etheldreda (or Audry), daughter of Anna, king of East Anglia. Its ancient history is most interesting. In 1071, Hereward, the noted English outlaw, defended Ely against the Normans. (See HEREWARD) Market gardening and fruit pre serving are among the important industries. Pop. 7,917. Consult Van Rensselaer, (English Bond, F., (English Cathedrals); Stewart, History of Ely Cathedral.' ELY, Minn., city and summer resort in Saint Louis County, 115 miles northeast of Duluth, on the Duluth and Iron Range Rail road. It is in the centre of the Vermilion Iron Range, and nearby are several lakes and water falls. There is a large trade in fish, furs, lum ber and iron. The government is vested in a mayor, elected annually, and a board of alder men. The city has a fine high-school building and city hall, and owns the waterworks and electric-lighting plants. Pop. 3,572.
ELY, Isle of, a district in England, in the county of Cambridge, separated on the south by the Ouse from the remaining portion of the county and forming in itself an administrative county; area, 283,073 acres. It rests about 100 feet above the general level of the fen country, and was formerly surrounded by marshes, which at times became sheets of water. The whole has by drainage been converted into fertile fields and is a most productive fruit growing district. Pop. 69,752.