INNSBRUCK, insibrook, or INNSPRUCK (ancient CENtroprrust ;locally called Scuraucx), Austrian town and capital of the Tyrbeami-, fully situated at an elevation of 1 fee;,, 59 miles south of Munich, on the banks of Inn, near its confluence with the Sill, and in the centre of the valley of the Inn (Innthal), the sides of which are enclosed by mountains several miles distant, but so lofty (7,000 to 8,500 feet) as apparently almost to overhang the town. It consists of the town proper, sit, uated on the right bank of the river, and of five suburbs. It is for the most part 'well built. The houses are generally of a limestone breccia and from four to five stories high, and built in the Italian style. The buildings most deserving of notice are the Hofkirche, containing the tomb' of the Emperor Maximilian I, one of the most splendid monuments of the kind in though he himself is not interred in it and the tomb of Hoffer; the church of Saint James, with a painting by Lucas Cranach; the Jesuit church, considered the .ha in the toun; the Capuchin church, with good 'paintings; the new palace,, built by Maria Theresa, a very extensive edifice, with gardens whirls Stretch along the side of the Inn and form an excellent promenade; the old palace, in which the arch dukes of Tyrol and several of the German em-.
Perors used to reside; the university, founded in 1677 and re-established in 1826, well endowed, provided with a great library of 260,000 yelp:nes, botanical garden and cabinet of natural history and attended by about 1,300 students; a gym nasium and several other important educational establishments; and the museum, called Fercfi nandeum, rich in all the productions both of art and nature within the liniits of the Tyrol, The manufactures include woolen, silk and cot ton tissues, gloves, mosaics, glass, etc. As the capital 6f the Tyrol, Innsbruck is the place of assemblage' for its states and the seat of Aw perior appeal, civil and criminal courts and of many important public offices. Many of the spots in the immediate vicinity have become memorable for the noble exploits which the Tyrolese peasantry performed in the War of Independene. 53,194, and mainly cOma posed of Gernian.speaking Roman Catholics. '