LEHIGH UNIVERSITY, an institution at South Bethlehem, Pa., founded by Asa Packer (q.v.) in 1866. His endowment of the university, including an appropriation of land, totaled about $3,000,000, said to be the largest donation by one American to the cause of education up to that time. The original object of judge Packer was to °afford the young men of the Lehigh Valley a complete edu cation, technical, literary and scientific, for those professions represented in the develop ment of the peculiar resources of the sur rounding region.° Lehigh's growth has carried it far beyond local scope. The student body of the first year numbered 40 young men from four States and one foreign country. In 1916 there were 775 students, representing 30 States and 12 foreign countries. The teaching staff has increased from 7 in 1866 to 78 at this time. The alumni body, including graduates and non-graduates, representing Lehigh in all parts of the world, numbers about 6,000. There is now a campus and park of more than 160 acres, with 20 buildings, a stadium and an additional playing field. For beauty of natural surroundings and architecture, Lehigh's lay-out is regarded as one of the finest in the entire country. The 20 buildings include Packer Hall,
Packer Memorial Church, Fritz Engineering Laboratory, the Linderman Library, with 130,000 volumes, Drown Memorial Hall, Col lege Commons and Taylor gymnasium and field house. There are eight technical courses: civil engineering, mechanical engineering, metallurgi cal engineering, electrometallurgy, mining engi neering, electrical engineering, chemical engi neering and chemistry. In the arts and science department there are courses leading to the degree of bachelor of arts and of bachelor of science. A course in business adminis tration is included. The master's degrees in arts and sciences are granted in gradu ate courses. The proximity bf the plant of the Bethlehem Steel Company and of cement, zinc, coal mining and other important industries affords opportunities for study by classes accompanied by instructors. In 1915 the productive funds of the university were $1,480,000 and the income $256,754.