LEWISTON, Me., the second city in size in the State, 35 miles north of Portland, on the east bank of the Androscoggin River, and on the line of the Maine Central and Grand Trunk railways; incorporated a town 1,8 Feb. 1795, with a population of 600; incorporated as a city 15 March 1861, with a population of 7,500, and organized 16 March 1863. This city is located in the heart of the Androscoggin 'Val ley, a fertile and prosperous agricultural dis tnct. The city of Auburn, with a population of about 15,000, is located immediately opposite on the westerly bank of the river and the four cities are connected by four beautiful and com modious iron bridges, making them practically one community with a combined population of 41,311. The railroad connections and facilities are of the best. Three great lines of steam railways converge here,— the Maine Central, Grand Trunk and the Portland and Rumford Falls. The Maine Central runs west of Port land and the seaboard, there connecting by water routes with Boston, New York and all Southern ports, and by rail over the Boston and Maine with Boston, New York and all points south and west, and running east to Bangor, Saint John and the Maritime Provinces. The same road has local branches extending to Franklin and Somerset counties on the north, Augusta, the capital of the State, and the Ken nebec Valley on the east, and again connecting with the seaboard on the south at Bath and Rockland. The Grand Trunk also extends from here westerly to Portland and northerly to Montreal, thence to Chicago and the far West. The Portland and Rumford Falls runs north erly through the beautiful Oxford region to Rumford Falls, thence into the heart of the celebrated Rangeley Lakes district, one of the finest fishing and game preserves in the coun try. Lewiston is the electric railroad centre of the State of Maine. The Lewiston, Augusta and Waterville Street Railway, one of the lar gest electric road systems in the State, radiates from this centre, extending southerly to the seacoast at Bath and easterly to Augusta and Waterville. The Portland-Lewiston Interurban Electric Railway runs from Lewiston to Port land and is generally recognized as one of the best equipped electric railroads in the country.
located in a fer tile agricultural district, Lewiston is distinctly a manufacturing city. The Androscoggin River here has a fall of 50 feet and furnishes one of the most extensive water powers in the coun try. This power is utilized by means of an immense system of distributing dams and canals. The amount of power at the falls is 13,000 horse power. About two and one-half miles up river an immense dam has been con structed which adds 10,000 horse power, making in all 23,000 horse power available for use; the latter 10,000 horse power is made available for use by electricity and is so distributed. The city's largest single industry is the manufacture of cotton cloth. Some of the largest manufactur ing plants in the country are located here, and their various products are found in nearly all the markets of the world. Among them are the Bates Manufacturing Company, capital 1,200, 000, operating 2,250 looms and 82,376 spindles; the Hill Manufacturing Company, capital $750,000, operating 1,912 looms and 80,016 spindles; the Androscoggin Mills, capital $1, 000,000, operating 80,000 spindles and 2,206 looms; the Continental Mills, with 2,619 looms and 94,688 spindles; the Avon Mill with 126 looms and 6,160 spindles; the Libby and Ding ley Company, capital $300,000, with 18,000 spindles. Their products are ginghams, bed spreads, fine dress goods, seersuckers, fancy shirtings and colored cottons, sheetings, twills, jeans, grain bags, drills, momie cloths, fine and coarse yarns, quilts, linen and cotton towelings, scarfs and table covers. There are three woolen mills located here — the Columbia Mills, oper ating 8 sets of machinery, 94 looms and a dye house; the Cowan Woolen Company, 8 sets of machinery, 46 looms and does it own dyeing; the Cumberland Mill, with 7 sets of machinery and 76 looms. The products of the woolen mills are blanket wrappers, cheviots, cassimeres, repellants and meltonettes. One of the largest and most noted bleacheries and dye works in the United States, the Lewiston Bleachery and Dye Works, is located here. Its capital is $300,000; its business, bleaching and dyeing cotton cloth.