Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 17 >> Lemurs to Lied Von Der Glocke >> Lexington

Lexington

kentucky, city, section and college

LEXINGTON, Ky., city and county-seat of Fayette County, metropolis of the famous Blue Grass section, is on the Southern, the Chesapeake and Ohio, the Queen and Crescent and the Louisville and Nashville railroads, with 42 passenger trains daily, and is connected with five Blue Grass county seats by interurban railways with hourly service; is located at intersection of four national highways Dixie, Jackson, Boone Way and Midland Trail; about 82 miles south of Cincinnati, Ohio, and about 22 miles southeast of Frankfort, the capital of the State; has a shopping population of 500,000 people within a radius of 50 miles; is the largest wholesale distributing centre in central and eastern Kentucky; is the gateway to the rich mining section of Kentucky. The first settlement was claimed by a party of hunters, who, in 1775, camped at this place and named it Lexington in honor of the battle of Lexing ton. They built a log cabin on the site so as to leave a proof of their ownership. Four years later Robert Patterson, one of the hunt ing party, made here a permanent settlement. Three years afterward the town was incorpo rated by the legislature of Virginia, as this section was then a part of Virginia. In 1792, when Kentucky became independent of Vir ginia, Lexington was made the capital of Ken tucky, and the first Kentucky legislature met in this city. The city was granted a charter

in 1832. Lexington is located in a fertile agri cultural section; has the largest loose leaf tobacco market in the world, which is one of its largest assets, the sales amounting to about $5,000,000 annually; is surrounded by the finest and most celebrated stock farms in the world; has the fastest trotting track in the world; has more than $250,000 annual income from the training stables of the trotting and running' tracks. Its chief manufactures are Bourbon whisky, harnesses, saddlery, flour, canned goods, lumber, carriages and wagons. Some of the important institutions are Uni versity of Kentucky, Sayre College, Hamilton College, Saint Catherine's Academy. State Agri cultural and Mechanical College, Kentucky Re form School, Chandler Normal School (negro) ; 12 public schools. It has the Eastern State Hospital for the Insane, Saint Joseph's Hos pital, Good Samaritan Hospital and Colored Industrial Homc. It has an excellent public library. Henry Clay made this city his home from 1797 until his death. Pop. 41,500.