LEXINGTON, Mass., town, in Middlesex County, on the Boston and Maine Railroad, about 12 miles northwest of Boston. The town contains the villages of Lexington, East Lex ington and North Lexington. Lexington was settled in 1642, was long known as 'Cambridge Farms and was incorporated as a town in 1713. It was the scene of the first conflict between the colonists and the British troops in the Revolutionary War, on 19 April 1775. Lex ington is situated in an agricultural region, and its industries are connected chiefly with the products of the farms and the trade neces-' sary for supplying local wants, but is chiefly a residential town. It contains many points of interest, some of which are the first battle ground of the Revolutionary War; the monu ment commemorative of this battle; the Mon roe Tavern, built in 1695, which was Earl Percy's headquarters; the old Belfry, here was hung the bell giving the alarm that the British were coming, and the Hancock-Clarke house (1698), where Samuel Adams and Hancock lodged the night before the battle. The last
mentioned building is now used as a museum for Revolutionary and early settlement relics. The town has recently acquired and added to the battlefield, or "Common,u the Buckman tavern and three acres of land. This tavern was used as the Minutemen's headquarters 19 April 1775. A number of monuments in honor of the men and events which made Lexington famous adorn the city, also the first normal school built in America. It contains the Cary Library with nearly 25,000 volumes; a fine high school, the Hancock and Adams grammar schools, a town hall and a number of fine churches and elegant residences. The old bury ing ground, visited annually by hundreds of people, 'is mute witness of the noble people who have lived in this town. Pop. 5,500.