Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 19 >> Military Surgery to Minnesota >> Millville

Millville

city, miles and five

MILLVILLE, mil'vil, N. J., city in Cum berland County, on the Maurice River, a navi gable stream 20 miles in length, which empties into the Delaware Bay, and on the West Jersey and Sea Shore Railroad, a branch of the Penn sylvania Railroad, situated just 40 miles south of Philadelphia and 40 miles north of Cape May, N. J. In 1801 Millville was incorporated as a town and in 1866 received its city charter. It is entirely a manufacturing city, and the largest industrial centre in South Jersey. Its chief industrial establishments are foundries, glass factories, dye works, bleacheries, cotton mills and machine shops. Sand mining is also a very important industry in this community. It has a large up-to-date high school, eight grammar schools and one parochial school, 10 large and beautiful church buildings, consisting of all denominations, a large park, situated on the shores of Union Lake, a body of fresh water three miles long and almost a mile wide, and numberless fine private residences, paved streets and sidewalks. The city proper covers

a radius of five square miles, and is one of the best electric lighted cities in the East, having installed the very latest and most up-to-date type of street lights. The hest State roads in the State lead through the city, which can be approached from any direction and there is also a new and high-grade Municipal Hospital, erected in 1913, at a cost of $35.000. The gov ernment is administered under the new city charter of 1913, which provides commission form of government by the election of five commissioners who hold office for a period of four years, and who have charge of various de partments of the city's business. The president of this commission is one of the five commis sioners, who is elected as such, and termed mayor by his colleagues. Pop. 13,500.